Monday, March 7, 2011

Journal Issues

I will admit it openly - I LOVE getting new journals! This is the current pile some started some waiting to be filled and this doesn't include old journals that are filled with stories, sketches, day to day happenings. There's just something about an empty journal that makes my heart beat faster. I keep them mostly inexpensive, treating myself once or twice a year (Birthday & Christmas) to something special and perhaps leather bound. I prefere no lines but those are hard to find unless you just buy a sketchbook, and I have done that. My pens are just as important. I love fine tips, multi colors, sometimes pencils and sometimes what I call and "inky" pen, a pen with a nib and ink cartridge. Recenly I bought some ink and have a calligraphy set that I'm starting to use. Mostly for letter writing. LETTER WRITING! you say? Well yes. Sure I can send an e-mail, a twitter, a blog, but don't you just love going to the mail box and finding a lovely envelope with handwriting addressed to you? I know I do and I figure if I write one I might just get one back. I tried to do and exchange on facebook but sadly only a couple of people were interested. It may have looked more like an event than exchange. I'll try again.

Since I was a little girl I've loved the act of writing. Holding pen in hand paper blank and welcoming before me. First it was short stories and romantic stories of having the most handsome popular guy fall in love with me, ahem, my character. I was overweight and never dated so my fantasy dating life was full and varied. I wanted to be the only girl in "The Outsiders", stand on a hill in the Scottish Highlands waiting for my love. Journaling is also where I do my best thinking. I'll come up with answers to stuff as I'm writing and be very surprised with the outcome. It's like the unconcious comes through, as if my hand, pen and paper are a conduit to the universe. (cue X-Files music here) Speaking of X-Files, weren't we? One of the best screen savers I ever saw in the workplace was "The answer is out there, but we are in here....." Just thought I'd let you know.

Back to the journals. Whenever I get a book that requires me to do written exercises I am thrilled, I get to go buy and new journal, for a reason that can be justified. It doesn't matter that I have three or four journals that have not been started yet, one must be purchased for that specific purpose. Heaven. I'll even go on about nothing in my nightly journal because I'm liking the way my handwriting is looking and the feel of the pen in my hand!

Yes dear friends I am a journal (and magazine) aholic. Proudly displaying journals and finding new homes for them. And if someone makes me go to a 12 step program, well then I'll just have to get a new journal to track my progress!

Oh and the special occations I wait for? My birthday is on March 28th :)

Love,
Heather

1 comment:

  1. I have a magazine addiction too ... love this 12 step funny of yours ... smileN

    ReplyDelete