Saturday, February 5, 2011

Bread baking on a cold afternoon

/>

Little ball of kneaded dough ready to rise






After rising, being divided and rising again ready for the oven



Nicely browned loaves

Ready to cool for butter and jam and tomorrows french toast!

I'd forgotten the pleasure of making home made bread. The smell of the yeast the kneading watching it magically grow and then this unbelievable smell of bread baking in the oven. I've had a bread maker for years and had always used that but nothing beats doing it all yourself. I promised hubby french toast with home made bread for his birthday so tomorrows breakfast will be fabulous! If you've never had home made bread french toast you owe it to yourself to do it at least once, it's the best you'll ever have, a little milk, egg, vanilla and cinnamon! YUMMMM!

I think I may get into baking more of my own bread, whole grains etc. Nice to know exactly what is in it. The only thing is you tend to eat more of it because it's so delicious.

Does anyone else enjoy baking on cold rainy/snowy days? There's something of a connection to the past to do this. Thousands of women use to wake up each morning and make the bread for the day even turn churn? the butter ( I won't go that far) for her family. My son often asks me "Mommy did you make this with love?" Today I can say yes from start to finish.

Heather










1 comment: